Saturday, August 29, 2015

Snow comes to Denali

We had our first snow of the season today. The peaks and high ridges have had fresh powder for a few days. Today the flakes flurried around the hotels. They didn't stick to the ground because the ground is still too warm. It was 32 degrees this morning, the ground was covered with slush as we walked up to breakfast at the Grande. All day long, the temperature stayed low and the rain was steady. I worked from 9-6, then this evening took a night jog over into the park. I jogged for 25 minutes, got warmed up and then stopped along the Riley Creek Trail to pick lingon berries. I picked sixteen ounces, then jogged for another ten minutes. Then I came upon another thick patch of berries and couldn't resist more picking. I had a cold jog back to the hotel after the picking was finished. Flurries of snow fell on my arms. Darkness is complete now by 10pm. I am grateful to be in my warm housing unit, with the space heater assisting the wall heaters. Winter is coming! 


View of Mount Healy from the Grande Denali Lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment